- This week we will be learning the letter Cc with a /k/ sound as in cat and candy. We will learn the K & C Spelling Rule. The rule is that we spell the /k/ sound with the letter k when the sound is followed by the letters e, i, and y. We spell the /k/ sound with the letter c when the sound is followed by the letters a, o, u, and any consonant. For example:
K before e, i, or y C before a, o, u, or any consonant
keg kid milky cat cot cup clip
--We will have letter Cc Show and Tell so start looking for your Cc item to share with the class!
**Word List 11 will be tested on Thursday, February 3rd. Practice daily!
- For Reading we will finish the story farfallina and marcel and begin the new book Seeds by Ken Robbins. It is an informational text about how plants grow and change. We will practice the comprehension skill: draw conclusions and will review the /o/ sound in words. Watch for your new Family Times newsletter!
- In Math we will be working on identifying a 1 cup measuring cup and following a recipe, identifying full, half full, and empty containers, and identifying a quart container. We will practice covering a design in more than one way using pattern blocks and will work on some problem solving by Acting it out and Drawing a picture! Review the daily practice sheets at home with your child.
- Our 100th day is just three school days away!!! Please practice counting from 0-100 and work on a bagged collection of 100 items to bring to school on Wed., February 2nd. Students are asked to dress as if they were 100 years old too!
- February is National Children’s Dental Health Month. Please encourage your child to brush his/her teeth at least twice a day and to practice good dental health habits. Watch for a special “toothbrush chart” to come home on Tuesday in your child’s folder! (Details will follow.)
--Parents are asked to review, sign, and return report cards as soon as possible if they haven’t already. Please contact the teacher with any questions or concerns or if a conference is requested. (email@example.com or 874-3661, Ext. 3245)
-- Just a reminder that the “Imagine” “When I grow up,” drawings are due by Feb. 4th for anyone interested in this optional activity for the National Children’s Study in Sch. County. ( papers were sent home weeks ago in your child’s folder.)
-- The Valentine’s Day party will be held on Monday, Feb. 14th. *We do not want anyone to feel left out so if you are writing out valentines, please make sure to have one for everyone in the class! Valentines may be sent in the week of Feb. 7-11.
-- The next PTO meeting will be held on Monday, Feb. 14th @ 6:30 in the school cafeteria. All are invited and encouraged to attend.
-- Wednesday, February 2nd is Groundhog’s Day. Check to see if Phil sees his shadow and whether or not there will be 6 more weeks of winter or an early spring!
-- February Scholastic book orders will be due by Thursday, February 10th for anyone interested in ordering this month. New order forms were sent home in your child’s folder.