· For Reading we will begin Unit 2; Look at Us. The first story is Flowers. Watch for your new Family Times newsletter. Please review recognizing capital and lowercase letters from Aa to Zz and the high frequency words; I, am, the, little, to, a, have and is. We will be learning the vowel letter Aa as in apple and acorn. We will focus on the short vowel sound. **Don’t forget to practice sight word flashcards daily!!!
· In Math, we will be working with Topic 16: Analyzing, Comparing, and Composing Shapes. Take some time to review daily worksheets!!!
· For Science, we will begin Unit C—Earth and Sky. We will focus on the question, “What are Earth and the sky like? “.
· Diane Rowland, will visit with our class on Monday, October 16th. She will be speaking with the children about Drugs and Alcohol in preparation for the annual Red Ribbon Week, which will be held the last week of October. Take some time to ask your child what he/she learned and/or discussed at school that day! This will be our Guidance lesson for Day 3.
· The School-wide Book Fair will take place in the Library starting Monday, October 16th. **Parents will be able to shop with their child on Monday night 10/16 from 4-7 PM. Mrs. Potts’ class will also be shopping in school on Monday, October 16th from 9:00-9:40.
· The Kindergarten Field Trip will be Friday, October 20th. Students will visit Rohrbach’s Farm in Catawissa and take an educational tour of the farm, go on a hayride, pick a pumpkin, and have time to play in play land! Students may wear jeans or sweatpants with the field trip shirt (coming soon). **Please note this is a monthly $1 Dress Down day!! Please be on time for school and dress for the weather.
· We are currently collecting money for the classroom parties. **If you have NOT yet sent in the party money, then please send in $5.00 in an envelope with your child’s name and classroom and mark “Party Money” on the outside of the envelope. Thank You!
· Oct. 8-15 is Fire Prevention Week so please take some time at home to discuss fire safety with your child and family. Be sure to have a practice fire drill and create an escape plan with a designated meeting place and watch for our class book, Be Cool About Fire Safety in the upcoming weeks!
· A BIG THANK YOU TO THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE/BUSINESSES FOR DONATING TO OUR FALL FESTIVAL ON THURS. OCT. 5TH:
Hart Farms, Ringtown
Ray Reichwein, Ashland
Dunkin Donuts, Saint Clair
Chill Out Ice Cream Parlor, Shenandoah
Guers Dairy, Pottsville
Mid Penn Bank, Frackville
Pearl Theater, Frackville
· Just a few reminders:
o The School Store will be closed during this week (10/16-10/20) due to the BOOK FAIR in the library.
o Red Ribbon Week will begin on Monday, Oct. 23rd. (Check out the orange monthly calendar for daily dress-up themes for the 23rd through the 31st!)
o The School-wide Halloween Parade will be held on Friday, October 27th @ 2:00 pm (If planning on watching the parade, then be sure to be a bit early as Kindergarten is usually first in the parade!). Weather permitting the students will be walking to the HS Stadium. (Students will begin dressing for the parade at 1:30 in the classroom.)
o The PBIS reward for October will be held on Tuesday, October 31st! Students who receive 4 stamps for S-safe, AR-act respectful, P-participate, and T-team work will choose one of three rewards: Monster Mash, Movie, or Art Activity.
Monday, October 16th will be Day 3-Guidance. **Students will need gym attire and sneakers on Tuesday, October 17th, Day 4 of the rotation schedule. Students will NOT need library books until Day 8 (Monday, October 23rd).